Thursday, November 30, 2006

Thursday Thirteen: About Me

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thirteen Things You Probably Didn't Know About the Cosmic Kid

1. I Skateboard
I may not skateboard well, but I do skate. I learned this summer and absolutely love it. I especially like riding through the theatre building since it has all concrete floors!

2. I have 5 roommates
Luckily we live in a 6 bedroom house, or we'd probably hate eachother. I love them all!

3. I have the same job now that I had in High School
In high school I started music ministering in Freshman year. By the end of Sophomore Year I'd taken over the Music Ministry and was running it by myself. My friend Chris was the campus minister and he coordinated all of the other complicated aspects of the mass. Today, I work as a music minister for a church in Plymouth, MI, and Chris is an Associate Youth Minister........AT THE SAME CHURCH! Kind of funny how that works out, eh?

4. I hate Keanu Reeves
I would rather watch paint dry than Keanu Reeves act in a movie. I have never seen any of the Matrix movies because of this.

5. I have a paranoid hamster
I've had this hamster for a few months, and he refuses to be handled. He's warming up to me, since I give him treats and let him run in his hamster ball, so I'm hoping he'll let me hold him soon. However, the other day he barricaded himself inside of the "cool petting zone" portion of his cage by filling the tube that connects it to the main chamber with bedding. The next morning it was all gone, but I can't help but worry that he thinks someone's out to get him....

6. I went to my first concert at age 5
Maybe I was 4, but I'm positive it was before my sister was born when I was six. I went and saw Fred Penner LIVE with my too-cool-for-school parents. I'm pretty sure it was at the Fox in detroit too....very classy.

7. I adore Hockey
I love hockey and I love living in hockeytown! If there hadn't been a 2.5 year waiting list for the girl's league near my house I probably would have played. GO WINGS!

8. I listen to the Beastie Boys
The Beastie Boys is the only kind of rap that I can stand, mostly because they don't take themselves too seriously, and they have fun with their music. I honestly couldn't care how many chains and "b*tches" the dime-a-dozen rap stars have today. Give me some Beastie rhythms and I'll be a happy camper.

9. I am addicted to Podcasts
Now that I've discovered that NPR podcasts Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and This American Life I've found even more addicting podcasts and listen to them religiously!

10. I have only pulled one full all-nighter in college
I don't know how I've managed it, but I've only had to have one full-on all nighter after 2.5 years at the University of Michigan. Sure, I've gone to class on 4 hours of sleep, but that's not a huge deal. After my all-nighter, I seriously wanted to die. I'd stayed up to finish my History of Dress source book on the 1970s. Not only that, but I then had to DRIVE on the freeway, in rush hour morning traffic to get to class on time! I was the most dangerous person on the road that day. I got a B+ on the project though, which is outstanding since the prof never gives good grades to non-costume design students.

11. I don't drink
As a 20 year-old Junior in college, I have participated in some crazy things, but I am proud to say that drinking isn't one of them. I have nothing against drinking--legally, and in moderation. The main reason I don't drink is because it seems like such a hassle, to have to worry about geting a MIP (Minor in Posession), or worrying about what I did last night. I have plenty of fun perfectly sober. Oh, and have I meantioned I hate drunk people? I do. I can't stand to be around them at parties, at concerts, at sporting events...they ruin my night if they're really bad. I just don't want to be that person. So, I can honestly say that the only alcohol I've ever had has only come after the word "Amen"

12. I greatly dislike Steve Angrisano
Angrisano is a christian music artist, who is used by a lot of churches who have bought into his "Youth Oriented" music. I don't like Angrisano, mostly because his music is really boring and overdone and his lyrics are lame. I honestly thing that Angrisano sits down with the task to write a song that youth will like, but it doesn't work like that, because if you write that way then it comes off as forced. There are plenty of musicians who are making christian music that youth really respond to, without being boring. If you set out to make good music for God first, and then look for your audience, then you won't be shoving a square peg in a round hole all the time.

13. I've been entered in a National Contest
I've been entered in the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival's Stage Management contest. I get to spend a week in Wisconsin participating in the contest in January. I have to make a display for the Pajama Game, which I SM'ed in October, and then have a panel interview about the show and my experience as a stage manager. I'm also entering a set design in the "paper project" contest (which means the design never actually happened). It's going to be pretty exciting.

6 comments:

Colleen Gleason said...

Hey Cosmic! Congrats on the contest thing! Sounds like a great opportunity...and, btw, you're right...I didn't know most of those things about you!

Anonymous said...

Cool list. I'm glad to "meet" you! Happy Th13!

Anonymous said...

Great TT! Shows a lot of insight into who you are! You have good reason to be proud that you don't drink - I think it's great when young people feel they have worth without altering themselves! The contest sounds great and I wish you success. Thanks for sharing yourself!

Chickadee said...

5 roommates??? Ack! I dont know if I could handle that, even if I did like the people. I'm such an introvert and like to have my "me" time.

I was fortunate enough to not have to pull all nighters when I was in school.

And I'm glad you don't drink. My 19 year old sister was killed by a drunk driver. It's senseless. It really is.

My 13 are up.

www.danno.org/blogs

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing those tidbits about yourself. :) I'm a huge hockey fan too (almost a requirement, since I'm Canadian. *grin*) That is so neat that you're a music minister. I greatly enjoy singing in Church Choir. :)

Have a good day. :)

Caylynn & Dragonheart
http://caylynn.blogspot.com
http://dragonheartsdomain.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Dude, if you've only had one all-nighter, you MUST not be in engineering school. Good Lord, I wish I had all of that sleep time back.

Also, you don't have to worry about seeing Canoe Reeves acting in a movie, even if you watch his movies. He couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. BUT! He did play an excellent red neck bully in The Gift and is therefore worth watching. Seriously, I grew up in Louisiana and I know red necks, and he was awesome in the part.

Carry on.