Thursday, November 02, 2006

Thursday 13: Music



THIRTEEN ARTISTS YOU MUST HEAR, BUT PROBABLY HAVEN'T

1. Jack's Mannequin-Everything In Transit
The lead singer of the pop-punk-piano band Something Corporate's first solo album is a HUGE triumph. With wonderful piano-based rock and soulful lyrics, I can't stop listening to Jack's Mannequin!
Stand Out Tracks: Bruised, Dark Blue, and I'm Ready

2. Big City Rock-Big City Rock
This band is going to be HUGE someday, jump on the band wagon now! If you like U2, you'll probably like BCR.
Stand Out Tracks: Sink, All of the Above, Human

3. Ludo
Ludo has a wonderful full length CD, but I love their EP rock opera Broken Bride the best. The opera includes a love story, time travel, dinosaurs, AND zombies. It may sound crazy, but the story works, and the ending is pretty close to a tear jerker.
Stand Out Tracks: Part I, Save Our City, Good Will Hunting By Myself

4. Altar Boyz (Original Cast Recording)
A musical about a Catholic boy band? Yes. Funny? Yes. Great pop music? yes. This is the most original new musical to come around in a long time, so catch it while you can. Plus, a Michigan Musical Theatre Alum is currently starring as Abe in the touring company!
Stand Out Tracks: Church Rulez, The Calling, [Bonus Track]

5. Harry and the Potters!
Do you love Harry Potter? Do you love rock music? Then you'll love HatP! 2 brothers formed this band and they play songs about HP and dress as HP. They put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen, too.
Stand Out Tracks: Save Ginny Weasley, Cornelius Fudge is an Ass, Dumbledore

6. Dashboard Confessional
They've had a few minor hits and a featured song in Spiderman 2, but I'm still surprised how many people haven't heard them. I've listened to them for almost 6 years now, and they've been through a lot of musical changes, but I still think the sound is wonderful
Stand Out Tracks: Stolen, Bend and Not Break, This Ruined Puzzle, Swiss Army Romance

7. The Swift
Yes, More piano rock, but this time Christian piano rock. I can't get this band out of my head, and I enjoy it even more because now I impress all of my friends at work with turning them on to this fabulous "new" band. Their 3rd album just came out, so check it out!
Stand Out Tracks: I Need You, You Burn

8. Jamie Cullum
He reminds me a lot of Elton John when he performs, with sliding across the piano, playing with his feet, etc. His music is great Jazz/Billy Joel-esque rock and he also takes great classic songs and makes them even more wonderful. Jamie brings a Punk Rock attitude to the Jazz Music scene.
Stand Out Tracks: Twentysomething, Everlasting Love, The Wind Cries Mary

9. Patty Griffin
My dad introduced me to Patty 4 years ago, and her brilliance never ceases to amaze me. It's the kind of folk music that makes everything feel better. She's an alt-country version of Joni Mitchell, without being too country.
Stand Out Tracks: Long Ride Home, Making Pies, Stolen Car

10. Pink Spiders-Teenage Graffiti
I love energetic punk rock, and these guys fill that need. A true power trio, these guys kick butt. From classic punk rock style, to a bouncy piano track (Adalae), the guys never cease to please.
Stand Out Tracks: Easy Way Out, Saturday Nite Riot, Adalae

11. Seven Places
Usually I dislike christian rock, but this stuff works for me. It praises without being oppressive and rocks without being lame
Stand Out Tracks: Western Wall, Fall In Line, Even When

12. Tally Hall-Marvin's Marelous Mechanical Museum
A local Ann Arbor band starting to make it big in the music biz, and they're doing very well for themselves. They put on an amazing live show, and I can't wait to see how far they go.
Stand Out Tracks: Greener, The Bidding


13. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
I love Ted and his band! Indie rock has never sounded so good. And no one can write a rock song about helping a friend survive an eating disorder like Ted, and you can quote me on that.
Stand Out Tracks: Where have all the Rude Boys Gone?, Dirty Old Town, Me & Mia

2 comments:

Colleen Gleason said...

Okay, I've been listening to Dashboard Confessional and Jamie Cullum.

Love his cover of my fave Jeff Buckley song, "Lover YOu Should have Come Over"

And yes I have GOT to get you a t-shirt. I keep forgetting to take it in my car.

And did you enter my contest, and enter a bunch of friends?????

The Cosmic Kid said...

Jamie Cullum's version of "Lover You Should Have Come Over" is amazing. I almost like it better than the original!

This is becoming the never-ending saga of the T-Shirt...will it make it to it's destination? How will the tshirt get there? Will the tshirt be able to stay above 50mph, saving all of it's passengers AND Sandra Bullock?!?

I haven't entered the contest yet, but I will next week since I'm prepping to go out of town to a Music Ministry confrence.