Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #20: Bruce Springsteen

The Thirteen Best Bruce Springsteen Songs

In case you didn't know, the name "Cosmic Kid" comes from a song by Bruce Springsteen, who is one of the most influential musicians in my life. In honor of him, here's my 13 favorite Springsteen Songs

1. Racing in the Street
There's too many amazing lyrics to choose from in this song, but here's one I love:
Some guys they just give up living/And start dying little by little, piece by piece/Some guys come home from work and wash up/And go racin' in the street

2. Jungleland
For me, this song is 10 minutes in heaven...
the poets down here don't write nothing at all/they just stand back and let it all be/And in the quick of the night they reach for their moment/And try to make an honest stand but they wind up wounded, not even dead/Tonight in Jungleland

3. It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City
The acoustic version on the Tracks box set is my favorite
The devil appeared like Jesus through the steam in the street/Showin' me a hand I knew even the cops couldn't beat/I felt his hot breath on my neck as I dove into the heat/It's so hard to be a saint when you're just a boy out on the street

4. Dancing in the Dark
Sure, it's got a terrible video, but it's a great dance song!
Message keeps getting clearer/radio's on and I'm moving 'round the place/I check my look in the mirror/I wanna change my clothes, my hair, my face
5. She's the One
A great live song...
And no matter where you sleep tonight or how far you run/Oh-o she's the one, she's the one

6. Thunder Road
One of the most beautiful songs ever written, possibly.
so Mary climb in/It's a town full of losers/And I'm pulling out of here to win.

7. Growin' Up
My namesake!
I took month-long vacations in the stratosphere and you know it's really hard to hold your breath./I swear I lost everything I ever loved or feared, I was the cosmic kid in full costume dress

8. Born to Run
It's the song that most people identify Bruce with, and it's an incredibly layered song musically and lyrically
Baby this town rips the bones from your back/It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap/We gotta get out while we're young/'Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

9. If I Should Fall Behind
This song closed out the entire 2001 Reunion tour, and the version off the Live in NYC record, is gorgeous...
We said we'd walk together baby come what may/That come the twilight should we lose our way/If as we're walkin a hand should slip free/I'll wait for you/And should I fall behind/Wait for me

10. Born in the USA
This is not a triumphant american anthem, and if you think it is, go take another listen and you'll see why Ronald Reagan was stupid to try and use it as a campaign anthem.
Come back home to the refinery/Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"/Went down to see my V.A. man/He said "Son, don't you understand"

11. Stolen Car
I discovered this one when Patty Griffin covered it, and it's a really raw, heart wrenching story
And I'm driving a stolen car/On a pitch black night/And I'm telling myself I'm gonna be alright/But I ride by night and I travel in fear/That in this darkness I will disappear

12. Land of Hope and Dreams
Now this is an American Anthem!
(This train) Carries saints and sinners/(This train) Carries losers and winners/(This Train) Carries whores and gamblers/(This Train) Carries lost souls/(This Train) Dreams will not be thwarted/(This Train) Faith will be rewarded/(This Train) Hear the steel wheels singin'/(This Train) Bells of freedom ringin'


13. One Step Up
The Tunnel of Love album has a few gems on it, and this is the best.
There's a girl across the bar/I get the message she's sendin'/Mmm she ain't lookin' to married/And me well honey I'm pretending

Honorable Meantions: Rosalita (I named my dog after that one), You're Missing, Jesus Was an Only Son.

You can stream all of these tracks at www.brucespringsteen.net under the SONGS section

13 comments:

Tink said...

That's a great list! I was a Bruce-fan in the 80's, loved "Dancing in the dark", but my favourite was "The River" (don't know if that's the title though).
My TT lists the cars my husband and I owned before our current one.

Anonymous said...

Great idea for T13!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

AWESOME.

I've been a Bruce fan for a very long time now. Nice to see he's still getting the recognition he deserves.

Happy TT!

Janet said...

My favorite Bruce song is Rosalita :-)

Rashenbo said...

Fun list... I'm not that big of a Sprinsteen fan... but totally cool :)

Jenny McB said...

In Candy's room there are pictures of her heroes on the wall
but to get to Candy's room you gotta walk the darkness of Candy's hall.

Loved this one and played it quite a bit on Friday nights in college. We still sing to Thunder Road at parties.

Thanks for the list, it was a walk down Memory Lane for me.

Anonymous said...

Great list.
Thanks for sharing

Andi said...

My fave out of those you listed is "Dancing in the Dark."

At one point Billy Joel & Springsteen used to remind me of each other. This was in Billy Joel's "Matter of Trust" days.

Robin said...

My list would have to include The River and My Hometown. As both a classic rock fan and a long-time folkie I'm really loving the Seeger Sessions. I've got that on my mp3 player now, and it's surprisingly good for the gym.

Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

I haven't listened to Bruce Springsteen in a very long time... I love inspirational musicians!

Laura said...

Hi, Janet sent me!
A very impressive list....I have been a Springsteen fan since Im 14 years old.....now in my 40's and have seen him 37 times in concert with hopefully still more to come!

Great list!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm a loser, I'm terribly fond of "The Rising". His voice is just so haunting in that track - it sends chills down my spine.

Stephanie said...

Great List!! Ok...I'm not a huge Springsteen fan (sorry!). BUT I did LOVE Hungry Heart!! And Blinded by the Light, although most people only remember Manfred Man's version.