Saturday, October 21, 2006

Hail! Hail! To Michigan!

I attend the University of Michigan, and after stage managing an event for the University this weekend (A gala event for the Michigan Difference Campaign) I've realized that I wouldn't transfer to any other university in the WORLD. Yes, we have an amazing football team, an amazing Med School, business school, music school, theatre dept, and musical theatre dept. We are an Ivy League education in a public midwest school. But really, that means nothing when it comes to me. I love the people. I love walking down state street. I love standing in the middle of the empty Mendelssohn theatre and thinking about everything and everyone who performed there. I love walking around the aerospace buildings knowing I'm walking where astronauts walked. I love sitting in class and thinking about how famous and/or successful 80% of these people will be. I love knowing that I am a part of the Michigan Difference.

Now, you may be wondering what caused all of this loving talk of Michigan, and I'll tell you...It was the Michigan Marching Band.

I stood on Stage Left at the gala cueing people to enter the stage, so I couldn't see the tunnel that the band would emerge from. But you hear it. The drum line counts it off, the drum major enters and all you see is a wall of blue and white uniforms. Then, once the drumline has entered, the rest of the band floods the stage, not marching, but RUNNING instep. The wall of people suddenly lifts their instruments and the blasting sounds of the michigan fan fare starts. The audience is immediately on their feet. The audience, full of older people doesn't miss a beat, pumping their firsts in all the correct places and singing along. I'm standing backstage, and even though I've got a headset, a clipboard, and I'm on standby to open the curtain, I have to join in. I look over at Andrea Joyce, the alumni class of 1976 NBC sports caster who was hosting the event, and she's right with me, crying. It's a beautiful thing.

This is the michigan difference. The fact that 300 people, rich donors, young students, a crew of electricians and out of state event planners can all come together through one song.

Hail! To the Victors Valiant
Hail! To the Conquering Heros
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The Leaders and Best.

I am proud to be a Michigan Wolverine.

1 comment:

Colleen Gleason said...

HAIL!!!!!!!