Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Current Favorites OCTOBER

Here's a few things that are Making my life better right now...

Music
1. Jack's Mannequin-Everything In Transit...the album has been out for a long time, but great piano rock never gets old. Dark Blue and Bruised are currently the soundtrack to my life

2. Big City Rock-Big City Rock...I saw them open for Everclear at the Blind Pig, and these guys are amazing. They sound a lot like U2 with a great vocalist, and muscular guitars, combined with the great vintage keyboard sound

3. Cheap Trick-The Authorized greatest hits...I'm telling you, there's nothing better than rocking out to some Cheap Trick in the car. Cheap Trick's guitar is the kind of guitar I've loved to play since I was very little, so of course listening to it is amazing.

Books
1. the PREACHER comic book series-Garth Ennis...So, I stumbled upon this through researching comics for a set design project. My room mate gave me every issue and I read all 65 in less than 6 days. I'd never read a real comic book before. Preacher is the story of a Preacher from Texas, who through a strange series of events recieves God-like powers through a being that has possessed him. After learning about what happened to himself, he then learns that because of this being inside of him, God has quit his job and is in hiding. The Preacher then sets out to find God and give him what for, with his Girlfriend, Tulip, and his friend Cassidy (who also happens to be a vampire) at his side. It's a fabulous story that is incredibly well written and funny. Even if you've never read a comic before, Preacher is worth it.

2. 7 1/2 Cents-Richard Bissell
This is the book that the musical THE PAJAMA GAME is based off of. It's actually a 50s romance novel. Endlessly entertaining with it's vintage charm, I can't get enough of it. And...it's pretty funny to read a 50s romance.


Movies
1. Waiting for Guffman...If you have ever been involved in a play, you have to see Guffman. This story combines every bad community theatre production ever created with the absurdity of Waiting for Godot . And all the favorites from past and future Christopher Guest films are present and HILARIOUS!

2. Jaws...I just watched it last night, and it still entertains me. Maybe it's my love for Richard Dreyfuss, and maybe it's the awesome shark puppets, but it gets me every time! Also, the IMDb trivia page on the movie is awesome, and considering how many problems this movie faced, it amazes me it made it!

TV
1. Project Runway!...It's a tight race between the 4 finalists, and even though Jeffery was a jerk in previous episodes, he shouldn't be kicked off because of Laura's accusations. Give him a chance to show his stuff, since it looks good.

2. Cash Cab...The greatest game show EVER. Unsuspecting people in NYC hail a cab...little do they know, but it's the CASH CAB! A game show that quizzes you until you get to your destination. But if you get 3 questions wrong, you get kicked out of the cab. I've seen people win over $3,000 on this show, and the questions are actually good. Discovery Channel, daily 5-6pm

3. Mythbusters...Yes, another Discovery Channel show. What can I say, discovery rocks! I could watch Mythbusters all day long if I had to. It's the most entertaining show on television, and I have a huge crush on Adam Savage and Tory Bellecci. In the end, I just want to see stuff explode.

Commercials
1. Volkswagon-featuring Nigel Tufnel (Christoper Guest)...So, This Is Spinal Tap is one of the greatest movies of all time. Nigel Tufnel is one of the greatest movie characters of all time. So, seeing him in a Volkswagon commercial should make me angry, right? Nah, because it's too dang funny! A+ V-Dubs.

2. Skittles-The singing rabbit...I can never find this commercial any more, but it's another funny one. Look for it on YouTube. And remember, a singing rabbit may seem cool at first, but in the end, it's never as good as that pack of skittles you traded it for.

Clothing
1. Scarves...Scarves rock. My favorite kind are Football (Soccer) Scarves, since they're warm and they look super cool. I also have one that's my family's Tartan (kilt pattern) from a scottish shop in Stratford, Ontario.

2. Vintage T Shirts...I just got a shirt with a wolf on it. It's pretty hard core. Value World is my favorite store, and it's saved me hundreds of dollars I'm sure with how many coats and shirts I've bought there instead of a full-price store

3. Home Made Arm Warmers...I love arm warmers, but I hate paying $10-20 for them at Hot Topic or somewhere lame. So, I take Knee-high socks, cut out the feet, cut a thumb hole in them, and ta-da, arm warmers. I have baseball sock ones and some cute argyle ones. Your arms will thank you for them.

Plays
1. The Pajama Game...Maybe it's because I just finished Stage Managing the show, but I love this show. From "There once was a man" to "Hey There" to "Steam Heat" the music is good, the story is cute, and the choreography (for my production at least) is awesome.

2. The Producers...I always get back into my Producers obsession during Tech for a show, but really, it's one of the greatest musicals of all time in my oppinion. Nothing can be as dead-on funny as this show.

3. Spamalot...I'm seeing this one live in a few weeks, and can't wait!

Other
1. Pumpkin Carving...I've been prepping for this for an entire year. The idea has gestated, and tomorrow I will get to execute it. I'll post pictures if it rocks as much as I think it will!

2. My New House...I'm living in Ann Arbor now, in a beautiful house. I love the location in the middle of the historic section of Ann Arbor, yet right next to campus! Also, my roommates rock. I wouldn't dream of living with anyone else.

3. Theatre Professors... are the coolest professors ever created. I mean, really, where else could you get away with half of the stuff we do? (ie. rasterbating their pictures onto the design studio ceiling last year...)Also, the theatre dept is so small at UofM that I think the professors all really start to care about their students. It's also fun to be around people who really love to come to work every single day.

No comments: