Thursday, April 26, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #24: The DO WORK playlist

Ok, I'm back! I survived TOMMY, and finals, so here's my first Thursday Thirteen of THE SUMMER!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thirteen Songs off of my playlist entitled "DO WORK, SON!" which I listened to while studying/writing papers this year during finals.

1. Chicago-Sufjan Stevens
Off of the Illinois album, and featured heavily in Little Miss Sunshine this song has a really calming effect on me, and is a really great song to work to since it's not distracting.

2. Indoor Fireworks-Elvis Costello
Elvis' voice is like velvet on this song, LOVE IT.

3. Counting Down the Hours-Ted Leo & the Pharmacists
The definition of finals week this spring!

4. The Song of Purple Summer-The Spring Awakening Broadway Cast Recording
This song oozes summer out of every note, and I can't wait to listen to it some night as the sunsets. It's on the list to remind me of what I'm working toward.

5. The Animal Song-Savage Garden
So...this is a huge guilty pleasure for me, I'll admit it. Savage Garden produces some great pop tunes.

6. A Day in the Life-The Beatles (Love Remixes)
I was apprehensive when I was told Cirque du Solei remixed the beatles to creat their show LOVE, but I was very pleasantly surprised. This album is amazing!

7. A Case of You
As the facebook group puts it: "Joni Mitchell is a F***ing Baller" and I will listen to her until the day I die.

8. Nan, You're a Window Shopper-Lily Allen
I can't get enough of Brit "hip-pop"...as I like to call it. Lily Allen rocks out on this track with her dry wit.

9. North Country Girl-Pete Townshend
I love Pete's voice, and his guitar playing. This song is gorgeous.

10. Lost in the Supermarket-The Clash
Joe Strummer is my homeboy.

11. Racing in the Streets-Bruce Springsteen (Live Bootleg)
This song is so beautiful that I have to stop all my work and just take time to listen to the lyrics when it comes on.

12. Head Over Heels-Tears for Fears
Yessssss 80s music!

13. I'm Not Alright (Acoustic)-Sanctus Real
I didn't think christian alt-rock could be this hauntingly beautiful.



And the 2006/2007 school year comes to a close. (I don't think my mom has realized it yet...but I'm officially a senior here at the University of Michigan!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Savage Garden did great pop songs. Btw Darren Hayes has released a teaser from his next album that can be heard on myspace if anyone is interested. www.myspace.com/darrenhayes there is also an animated video to go along with it that can be found on youtube or his official website.

Rashenbo said...

It's summer??? What you talking bout Willis! It's just barely hitting the 70s here in Minnesota, we haven't even fully hit Spring yet! :)

Great list though. It's nice to see your posts that focus on the older music!

Have a great Thursday.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Go Blue!

Neat selection of tunes. Can't argue with The Clash or Springsteen (or Savage Garden or...)

Happy TT!

Unknown said...

Counting Down the Hours is one of my new favourites. Me and Mia is awesome, too!

Janet said...

6, 10-12 are the only ones I know :-) But then, I'm OLD!

L^2 said...

"Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens is a great song. I'll have to check out some of the others that aren't as familiar to me.
My TT is music-related this week too. :-)

Anonymous said...

I know only some of them...hmmm am I not that funky?

Wendy Roberts said...

Great list! Makes me think summer is on its way :)

Rebecca said...

I love Lost in a Supermarket. Then again I love almost all things Clash.
Happy TT13!
Mines up at http://anyapples.blogspot.com/

Mercy's Maid said...

We have very different taste in music. Congrats on your "seniorhood"!