Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #10: Sufjan Stevens

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My Thirteen FAVORITE songs off of Sufjan Stevens' album Songs for Christmas


The Michigan native Singer/Songwriter, Sufjan Stevens, has been earning acclaim for many years now for his one-of-a-kind music. Sufjan has recently been in the spot light because of his mission to record an album dedicated to each of the 50 States. Already tackling Michigan and Illinois (IL got 2 albums, technically), Sufjan has released a 5 CD box set for Christmas. Songs For Christmas started as a simple tradition that Sufjan started, by quickly recording Christmas EPs for his friends and family, and the following box set is the result of 5 years worth of EPs. The production quality improves with each disc/year, but Sufjan's original approach and heart-felt delivery of each song brings new meaning to many christmas classics. Sufjan also supplies brand new Christmas songs that are infused with his creativity and humor. The following list is a very small selection of the 2 hours of sonic bliss that I promise you will experience while listening to these albums.


1. Holy, Holy, Holy (Disc 5 version)

2. Get Behind Me, Santa!

3. The Little Drummer Boy

4. Angels We Have Heard On High

5. The Incarnation

6. O Come, O Come Emmanuel (Disc 1 Version)

7. Star of Wonder

8. Ding! Dong!

9. Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming

10. Only At Christmas Time

11. Once In Royal David's City (Disc 5 Version)

12. Christmas in July

13. The Winter Solstice

6 comments:

Rashenbo said...

I guess I may have heard a song by Sufjan Stevens... but I don't think I recognize his name at all.

Thanks for sharing, though. I'll have to keep an eye on my radio lists and see if he ever comes up.

EHT said...

This is very interesting. I don't think I've heard of him.

Anonymous said...

Get behind me Santa? I've never heard of that. Now I'm curious. I wonder if I can find it on iTunes?

Anonymous said...

:) I have one of his songs on my computer.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

What a neat idea, to make albums for each of the 50 states. Cool.

I'm glad you turned me on to this guy. Thanks!

Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

ooh..i love me some sufjan stevens!